Friday, February 25, 2011

BIGOTRY, PREJUDICE, AND HATRED ... Alive and Well in Hopkins County!

A hazel-eyed view of life in Western Kentucky


On a short stretch of road in Hopkins County a house sits amongst many others. What sets this house apart from the others is the flag being flown from its front--a rebel flag.


This was the flag that was created and chosen to be the flag of the Confederate States when they seceded from the Union so many years ago. This was at a time when the nation was split over the issue of slavery. Slavery had become a profitable way of life for the plantation owners. They would buy the people best suited to the rigors of farming in that day. When they were no longer of use to the plantation owner, they would be sold. Families were often separated at such times.


As slavery continued to be the method the plantation owners used to farm their land and to run their households, anti-slavery feelings grew stronger, especially in the north. Eventually, the feelings on both sides of the issue grew so strong, that the south voted to withdraw from the Union. It was at this time they adopted the red flag with navy crisscross of stars as their flag. A very tragic war followed. So many lives were lost, and so many bodies were maimed. But even more tragic was the fact that families were divided over the issue of slavery and fought on different sides.


I grew up in the deep south, though it was long after the war. There was so much prejudice, not just white/black prejudice but prejudice against most ethnicities, attitudes, religion, et cetera.


It was difficult growing up under such circumstances. Prejudice was a way of life. We were taught these beliefs and as we grew up and began to mature in our knowledge and our beliefs, we began to recognize how wrong it is to judge another by his/her color, the size of their house, their occupation, their friends.


I, like so many, were taught or certainly heard it said, well the Bible says .... So I have given some thought to what the Bible says about some things and, perhaps, its meaning. In Psalm 145, verse 9, "The Lord is good to all, and His tender mercies are over all his works." I like that. I accept that. What else needs to be said? There are many stories in the Bible about slavery. There are many stories in the Bible about horrible things, like God ordering entire tribes to be wiped out, down to the last baby. That sounds horrible to me, and I don't think I can accept it as truth. Now putting this in perspective for me, I can't help but wonder if these stories were put in the Bible not to say that these are the right things to do, but rather to show the ugliness of it.


Knowing how much better I feel when I approach people with the attitude of each being on the same level, I hope to be polite, courteous, and well mannered. That way I depart with the feeling of having set a good example of how to show respect. It is good if we love a person, but it is even better to show respect to them. Showing due respect helps a person feel worthy and, in turn, capable. If we make a person feel less than what he is, a fellow human being, then I feel strongly that we not only have shamefully harmed the person, but have done more harm to the universe than is measurable.

When a person moves into a quiet and peaceable neighborhood, then later begins to perform acts  adverse to what the neighborhood represents, that person is not showing respect for his new neighborhood. In fact, he is being very disrespectful. That person can say that he has the right to fly the rebel flag from his house if he wants to. By law he is probably right. But the neighbors that were there first, none of which fly rebel flags, what about their rights? As a neighborhood that does not fly rebel flags, do they not have the right of the majority to expect their neighborhood to continue to be a neighborhood that does not fly rebel flags or display other symbols that demean another? I am appalled when I drive by this house. I know all too well what the flag represents. Let us put all this negativity back in the past and move forward with a feeling of good cheer and peace on earth to all mankind. This sounds trite, I know, but I believe it will work.

By writing this article I am not trying to demean any one in any way. But I do hope to enlighten many as to how easy it is to say in so many ways things that degrade people. On the other hand, with just one pleasant word we can make a person's day. And I would be remiss if I did not point out that I too am prejudiced. We all have our prejudices--But we can recognize them and make it a practice not to demean anyone with out wrong attitude. I am working on my attitude. Will you join me?

Till next blog,

Cheyanne/Shirea

No comments:

Post a Comment