Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Reading--Gateway to the World

A hazel-eyed view of life in Western Kentucky

School has tried to resume after the holidays, but is continually interrupted by snow days. Though there is still much to be taught and learned this second semester, the pace seems less hectic.

When my oldest granddaughter started kindergarten in about 1996, I began my mission as a volunteer at Hanson Elementary School. I was fortunate to have the time and the ability to help with the students on a regular basis as she passed on through second grade. Once she was a second grader, I knew which grade I enjoyed working with the most. I also knew that helping kids improve their reading skills was my passion.

Once again I am fortunate to have the time and the ability to volunteer at Hanson Elementary School. This is my second year back on the job helping with the literacy program. We are now being dubbed "Hanson Heroes." I am not a hero, but I do feel as though I'm filling a void in children's lives.

I have always loved to read and I understand the importance of being able to read. The ability to read well is the gateway to the world. It is a life skill, coupled with writing. Without these two skills, one cannot even fill out a job application.

It is my goal to swing wide this gate for each child who passes my way.

What is your passion, and how do you apply it? You do not have to be the best at what you do to help others.

Till next blog,

Cheyanne-Shirea

No comments:

Post a Comment