Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Remembering The Ice Storm

A hazel-eyed view of life in Western Kentucky

I joined Yahoo!360 when it was in its heyday. Each Wednesday a group of us posted our poems, with explanation of the inspiration that caused us to write that particular poem. Anyone could post a poem that day, whether original to them or not. Also, anyone could post a comment about any or all of the poems posted. This group is what inspired my love for poetry.

I have not written any poems lately, but I  have written a number of songs. Today is such a beautiful day here in Western Kentucky, with a temperature of 69 degrees at 11:30 a.m.

I mention this fact because it reminds me of less desirable weather in January/February 2009. Western Kentucky was under siege by snow and ice. I live in the country, sharing 8 acres of land with my son and his family. As the snow and ice accumulated on the power lines, the lines began to break under the weight, leaving us without power for approximately two weeks.  I moved in with my son, his wife, their 4 children, and their dog for the duration.  After 5 days of no power, my son and his wife traveled to Evansville, Indiana to purchase a generator. Not only did it brighten our nights, it brightened our spirits as well.

I composed a poem about the storm one night after we had all gone to bed. About two weeks went by before I put it in writing. I posted this poem on 360 before I ever put it on paper. I am posting that poem for you today. If you have never experienced an ice storm, then I hope you will feel the stark reality of what it is like. I also hope that you will thoroughly appreciate the beauty of this gorgeous spring-like day.


Cooking by Candlelight

It was a cold and stormy night
In Western Kentucky
On Windy Hill the rains began to fall
And the temperatures dropped
Ice building up
Tree limbs breaking
Like mortar fire
Going rat-a-tat-tat
Falling on icy lines
Poles breaking
The power went out
Leaving total darkness
A town was isolated
Had no electricity.

On Windy Hill
With no power
With no lights
Daughter-in-law
Cooking by candlelight
On a Coleman stove
The food was good
To the very last bite.

Utility people
Worked round the clock
Setting new poles
Volumteers came
From far and near
Power was restored
Grid by grid.

On Windy Hill
The volunteers came
It took all day
But power was restored
On the 15th day!

The morning after
The winds did come
Howling fiercely
The lights would flicker
Staying off for hours
Telephone lines still down.

The winds have calmed
Bright, sunny skies
Cold but clear
This early morn
Weather is warming
Just like spring
It is mid February
Surely spring is on its way.

Life will never be the same
On Windy Hill
Life has changed
For the folks
In Western Kentucky
No more cookin'
By candlelight
No more cookin'
By candlelight.

Shirea Mills February 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment